Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority (ADWEA):


The Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority (ADWEA) was established in March 1998 replacing the former Water and Electricity Department. ADWEA is wholly owned by the Government of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi and serves more than 1.5 million people, or roughly 40 % of the population of the UAE.


Historically, ADWEA’s main responsibility has been to produce, transmit and distribute electricity and potable water within the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.  However in recent years, ADWEA has increasingly become a supplier for customers in other emirates as well, both via the construction of ADWEA-owned power plants in other emirates (e.g., ADWEA’s construction of the 1000 megawatt (MW) Union Water and Electricity Company plant in Fujairah in 2003) and via the export of spare power to other utility authorities (e.g., DEWA, SEWA and FEWA) over the Emirates National Grid.  ADWEA boast a current total installed generation capacity in excess of 8,100 megawatts.


ADWEA’s generation portfolio is dominated by gas-fired CCGT power plants located either within the Emirate of Abu Dhabi or in the northern Emirate of Fujairah.   ADWEA boasts an extensive transmission network made up of 400, 220 and 132 kilovolt (kV) lines which connect the major centers of generation and demand.  ADWEA’s wholly-owned subsidiary, the Abu Dhabi Transmission and Despatch Company (TRANSCO), operates this transmission network on behalf of ADWEA.  Additionally, two independent distribution companies managing networks of 33 kV, 11 kV and low-voltage lines deliver power directly to non-bulk customers.


ADWEA’s potable water production portfolio is dominated by desalination plants connected to major power-generation facilities, although Abu Dhabi is currently tendering for the construction of a new 50 million gallons per day (MGD) reverse osmosis (RO) plant.  Produced water is transported to major demand centers via trunk mains of 600mm to 1600mm with the help of pumping stations. Distribution to customers is carried out by the same two distribution companies mentioned above through an extensive pipeline network, however, some remote areas are still served by road tankers.


ADWEA has established a long term program for the privatization of the water and electricity sector, including its subsidiary production companies.  As part of this program, five Independent Water and Power Producers (IWPP’s) have been established.  These independent producers represent joint venture arrangements between ADWEA and various international companies.  In each IWPP, ADWEA retains a 60% equity share while the remaining 40% equity stake is held by private investors.  All IWPPs are required to sell their water and electricity production and capacity to the Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Company (ADWEC), which is a wholly government-owned subsidiary of ADWEA.


For more information visit ADWEA’s website: